- Symbolic colors
- The red color at the top center represents the passion and challenge to run towards the future, symbolizing Namhan Fortress.
- The yellow color to the right means that Gwangju, which has the shape of an outstretched arm, is at the heart of Gyeonggi Province.
- The blue color to the left means that Gwangju, which, as mentioned above, has the shape of an outstretched arm, works with government officials and comes up with policies that are always clean and righteous.
- The green color at the bottom is in the shape of legs leaping towards the future and represents the fertility of the land and the beautiful natural landscape of Gwangju.
- The brand slogan of Gwangju
"C" for clean symbolizes the leaves and represent the clean, clear, and eco-friendly image of Gwangju, which promises clean and transparent administration to earn and maintain the people's trust and satisfaction and promotes excellent water management as well as systemized water quality policies in the Paldang Water Protection Zone, with a natural landscape characterized by clear waters, clean air, and green forests.
- The meaning of design
The blend of natural green and blue, representing the clean and clear land and water, emphasizes the image of a clean city. The bright blue to the right adds to the city’s clear and pure image.
Joint Brand of Farm/Special Produce
- Brand name: Jayeonchae
Jayeonchae is Gwangju's major farm produce brand, with a pure, eco-friendly image.
- Items: Certified eco-friendly farm produce of Gwangju
- The QR (quick response) code is the 2D grid-like code that can contain much more information than the barcode and that can be scanned with a smartphone to access various kinds of information.
Local Tree: Gingko Tree
- Symbolizes prosperity with the vitality to grow magnificently
- The powerful vitality to endure adversities for a millennium
- Planted along the main roads of the city
Local Bird: Barn Swallow
- The friend of farmers in the farming season
- Diligent and beneficial character
- A friendly character that always brings good news to people
Local Flower: Korean Forsythia
- A native plant that grows in a large community
- An elegant flower growing on humble trees (symbolizing the virtue of humility)
- Has such powerful vitality that it can prosper even without being tended
Local Animal: Ox
- Gwangju's ox is the pride of the city
- The symbol of prosperity of farm households and towns
- Trustworthy, diligent, and powerful